Higher Education & Training Facilities
Patrick Henry Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associates degrees in 29 different programs in addition to 12 certificate programs and 38 career studies certificate programs. PHCC also offers nontraditional programs such as customized workforce development training, industrial certifications, literacy/ESL classes, developmental and personal enrichment courses, and GED.
PHCC offers over 100 satellite and online programs of study through the Old Dominion University Distance Learning. Old Dominion’s original satellite delivery program was launched in 1994 in partnership with the Virginia Community College System (VCCS) to provide quality higher education to students at a distance, especially in areas with limited educational opportunities.
Located on 137 acres of rolling hills, PHCC also utilizes off-campus sites in nearby Stuart, Rocky Mount, and Martinsville including the Artisan Center and the Virginia Motorsports Training Center at Arrington Manufacturing.
PHCC is also home to NJCAA-sanctioned basketball, baseball, softball, cheerleading, golf, and soccer teams. Clubs and organizations for theatre production, art, and more seek to meet the interests and talents of all students.
Established in 2004, New College Institute (NCI) strives to make higher-level education accessible to students of all ages. NCI provides access to bachelor's degree completion programs, master's degrees, teacher endorsement programs, and teacher recertification courses through partnerships with institutions such as Virginia State University, Old Dominion University, and Longwood University.
New College Institute is dedicated to serving and benefitting local businesses and the community. Programs such as their Spring, Summer, and Fall Internship Program allow local businesses to test-drive talent as college students gain paid work experience among local employers. NCI’s Academy for Engineering & Technology is a partnership with Virginia State University that allows high school juniors and seniors to receive dual enrollment credit for STEM-focused coursework. Through educational summer camps, non-credit lecture series, financial aid resource events, and other special events, NCI promotes continued education throughout the community.
In 2014, New College Institute will have completed the construction of their new facilities located on the Baldwin Block in uptown Martinsville. The 52,000 square foot space will act as a hub for education, technology, and public-private partnerships with state of the art facilities and equipment.
K-12 Education Facilities
Carlisle School, an IB World School, is an independent, PS-12 school. In September 2013, it opened for its 46th school year, welcoming over 490 students from eleven different countries. For the second year in a row, the readers of Virginia Living magazine voted Carlisle the Best Private School in Southwest Virginia. Additionally Carlisle was recently named an “Editor’s Choice” and recently listed among Virginia’s Top High Schools and Colleges for 2013 by Virginia Living. The publication named Carlisle a top school in the Arts and Humanities category, noting that Carlisle is “the only school in the Commonwealth that offers the International Baccalaureate program at all levels, beginning in elementary school.” Carlisle has been a leader in project-based learning for over 15 years.
Points of distinction for Carlisle School
- 100% 4-year college acceptance rate since first graduating class
- Accredited by the Virginia Associations of Independent Schools and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Authorized by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) for the IB Diploma Program, Middle Years Program, and Primary Years Program
Henry County Public Schools (HCPS), a high-performing school division, provides all students with an exemplary education in a safe, supportive environment that promotes self-discipline, motivation, and excellence. HCPS enrolls 7,000 students among 14 schools. The school division has the largest iPad initiative in the state and a student/computer ratio of 2:1, with the state requirement being 5:1.
Points of distinction for Henry County Public Schools:
- Henry County Schools was awarded the Apple Distinguished Program Award, which recognizes a school division for innovation, leadership, and educational experience. Henry County was one of 47 recipients in the nation.
- Sixty-one percent of juniors and seniors were enrolled in an Advanced Placement and/or Dual Enrollment class in 2012-2013.
- Magna Vista High School was one of 64 schools in the nation to receive the US Department of Education’s 2013 Green Ribbon Award. MVHS is the first high school in Virginia to receive this honor.
Martinsville City Public Schools is an innovative school division that includes five schools serving preschool through 12th grade. With a mission of “Bringing Life to Learning,” MCPS uses project-based learning and business partnerships to bring relevant, real world learning into the classroom, preparing students for success in college and careers.
Points of distinction for Henry County Public Schools:
- Newly renovated Martinsville High School features state-of-the-art science labs, a TV studio, mock hospital room, robotics lab, and an open commons area featuring collaborative work spaces.
- Advance learning is present throughout the school system:
- Most middle school students enter 9th grade having already earned high school credits. High school students have the opportunity to earn college dual enrollment credit, an associate’s degree, and specialized industry certifications.
- All schools are equipped with Wi-Fi access for students and faculty.
- Martinsville Middle School is home to the only NASA Science, Engineering, Math and Aerospace Academy (SEMAA) lab in Virginia, one of just 16 in the country. Includes a real flight simulator and uses NASA technology and lesson plans.
- Clearview Early Learning Center offers a full-day three and four year old preschool program, staffed by fully certified teachers.